The sport of powerlifting has grown in popularity over the last decade, and although it has been around for much longer, many more individuals are competing in local level meets every year. Consisting of the squat, bench, and deadlift, powerlifting meets are an opportunity for many like-minded people to come together and support one-another in their pursuit of their goals. And, while from the outside, it may seem intimidating watching all of these people lift maximal weights, it is anything but intimidating. People of all sizes, shapes, ages, genders, etc. compete in these meets and it is one of the most motivating things I have been a part of in the fitness world. After both competing and coaching in powerlifting, here are some reasons I think people should give powerlifting a fair shot:
- Goal-Oriented. In any fitness endeavor, it is so important to have a goal to work towards. Powerlifting offers the opportunity to set goals for you and work towards achieving them on the platform. And, when you execute everything and achieve that goal, there is no better feeling.
- Like-Minded People. As said before, going to these powerlifting meets has allowed me the opportunity to talk to, network with, and build friendships with people that are like-minded; that set goals for themselves and work hard to get there; that want nothing more than to give their best and show all their hard work they put in for that meet.
- Supportive Community. Every time an athlete steps up to the barbell on that platform for their third attempt at a given lift, you know that they are putting 100% of everything they have into that lift. Whether that is 100 lbs. less than what the next person does, or 300 lbs more than the previous, it is so cool to see people give their 100% and I can’t think of anything more motivating than that, and people are so supportive to that, cheering loud for that athlete to hear, for that athlete to push just a little bit harder.
- Discovering Your Inner Strength. When you train for weeks on end to get stronger, to do more reps, to get just 5 more lbs. on your lift, there is no better for not only your patience, but your relentless will to give up. There are set backs, bad days, injuries (they happen!), and all kinds of speed bumps to keep you from going, but you will discover your ability to keep moving forward. And, this will bleed into other parts of your life, whether it’s relationships, career, or anything for that matter.
- Most Importantly, It’s Fun! Not a lot to be said here, just that powerlifting really is a lot of fun. We enjoy both competing and coaching, watching both our athletes hit their goals and hitting our own goals along the way!
If you read this and think you may want to give powerlifting a shot, give us a call! We would love to hear more about your story and why this is something you may want to do! Are you still unsure? Well, again, give us a call! We would love to help you in any way to make the decision if this is something that may be good for you!